Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Bugs, Backyards, and a Boy

Well, springtime is almost here! The Daffodils have bloomed, the sun is shining, and the bugs are beginning to re-enter the world of the living.



Enter Michael. Yesterday I found him sitting at the patio table watching something. It turned out to be a slug. Well, to those of you who know Michael, he LOVES bugs. He will hunt in the back yard for hours and isn't afraid to pick them up and play with them. Usually, it ends in an unfortunate demise for the creature but it keeps him entertained and happy so it works for me.

I learned a fact about slugs from Michael. Slugs are not slimy as one may think. They are sticky. They can also withstand quite a bit of handling without squishing, and can carry many hundreds times their own weight. (I learned this after telling him to get the table off the slug.)



One day last fall Michael asked me for a baggy. I gave him one and he went to the backyard obviously on a mission. When he returned to the house a short time later he was very proud of his catch... he caught a number of spiders and put them in the zip-lock. "NO SPIDERS IN THE HOUSE!" I boomed. (for those of you who know me spiders are not my friends) "But, they can't get out!" He replied. In the end Mommy Power prevailed and the spiders were hastily evicted from this house.


Note: No slugs were hurt in this blog.

No comments: