Thursday, May 7, 2009

He's a Big Boy Now!!!

The first time Hayden peed on the toilet he was about 16 months old. I thought I was the luckiest woman in the world! My son was going to be potty trained by the time he was two! A potty prodigy! A barely two year old boy potty trained?? It's unheard of for sure but honestly I thought the karmic gods would be on my side since I'd gotten a bit more than I bargained for with all his climbing and mischief.... well, here we are more than a year later and finally the chore of potty training is almost complete. I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch so I'll only count my eggs but he has made great strides towards freeing us from the financial burden of at least a portion of our diaper fund.

For anyone reading this who might find themselves training a toddler boy I will give you this advice. Use "special treats"... it's amazing what a little bit of ice cream or M&M's can do to boost the appeal of the toilet. Even if you have to give them ice cream three times a day for two weeks in the end they'll be trained and the sugar high will eventually wear off.

So, for the last two weeks we've had a naked boy running around our home beaming with a huge smile each time he mounts the porcelain throne to drop the kids off the pool. Never mind however, the money spent on replacing one toilet due to the toilet paper spindle being flushed and Mike's plans for Saturday is to remove the upstairs toilet to search for the "pouf" which Hayden flushed just days ago. So, it wasn't painless but at least it's almost done.

I guess it's time to kiss the "baby" good-bye and welcome my newest "big boy" to our family.

Good Job Hayden!!!

No comments: