Thursday, February 7, 2008

Vasovagal syncope

So I had an exciting afternoon yesterday! I was minding my own business in my kitchen while the boys played. Michael and Hayden were in the living room running around and being good. I decied to take my vitamins. So, I grabbed a bottle of water and popped the first vitamin in my mouth and washed it down. Then the second two at the same time and I gulped a big drink of water but this time it felt like I got a lot of air in the swallow too. As the vitamins, air, and water went down my throat it felt as if my esophogas was bulging way too big. IT HURT BAD!!! I wasn't choking as the air way was not blocked but the pain from the big gulp was pretty intense. I've felt this before but never this bad. I leaned over in pain muttering to myself "Holy Cow that hurt!". The next thing I know I'm thinking to myself..."Oh my God, I'm soooo tired". I then realized I was laying flat on my back in the kitchen. I passed out! My bottle of water had spilled all over the floor and Hayden was splashing away and having a great time. Michael never knew anything had happened at all and was still running around. I don't know how long I was out but it couldn't have been long.

So it was an episode of Vasovagal syncope. It's happened a few times in my life (once I sneezed and held it in... ouch that hurt and next thing I knew I was laying on a friends couch). So, it's common and kind of exciting. But, also I have to say it was a little scary being the only adult home at the time. I think Michael would have been really scared if he knew what was going on.

Well, to all of you out there! Take only one vitamin at a time and don't take too big of a gulp!

2 comments:

Nick Vona said...

I have done exactly that with water but no passing out, that only happens with beer...

Mariana is settling in, life is getting smoother with a car and an apartment. It has been a crazy transition but is starting to smooth.
We will post when we get furniture, someday...

Mariana said that the apartment makes her feel like she is at resort, I reminded her that resorts had furniture and did not make you sleep on an air mattress.

Alana Neufeld said...

Drinking, pill popping and passing out in front of the kids. Hmmm, whose blog is this, Britney Spears?